Monday, July 18, 2011

Day 7

So I suppose I have to say that I am thankful for this rain because it will be a very hard thing for me to say.  Can I be thankful for things that I don't really want? Can I trust that God knows more and can see farther down this road than I can?  So the weather isn't really applicable in the analogy per se but isn't it true that if we accept some gifts from God knowing that He is good we must accept ALL gifts from God trusting that He is really and truly good?  It is a difficult concept to reconcile with and the first chapter of the book I mentioned in an earlier post, One Thousand Gifts, examines that question beautifully.  I don't know how to wrap my head around it but perhaps the mystery of it is part of its power and beauty.

In the book the author talks about manna in the dessert for the Israelites.  Here is a quote from the end of chapter one.  "For 40 long years, God's people eat manna- a substance whose name literally means "what is it?"  Hungry they choose to gather up that which is baffling.  They fill on that which has no meaning .  More than 14,600 days they take their daily nourishment from that which they don't comprehend. They find soul-filing in the inexplicable.  They eat the mystery.  And the mystery, that which made no sense, is "like wafers of honey" on the lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment