Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Day 3

Today I am thankful for my community.

I remember when Eli was born and we lived in Seattle and there was a mom's group at our church and I went those first few months and soaked up being with other moms. When we moved I didn't feel like our new community though wrought with children and mothers had quite the same venue for knowing and being known as a mom.

Today, 4 plus years later I had 8 moms and 2 grandmas along with all the children (14 or more) at my house for our weekly summer play group.  It is amazing to journey with people in their struggles and triumphs and day to day.

Then as if we hadn't had enough community for one day we spent the evening working at a local community kitchen where between 70 and 100 people are served dinner.  It is great having conversations and working along side friends and also challenging to break away from the comfortable relationships to forge new ones with new people.

I think community is an amazing tool to know ourselves and work along side others for something bigger than ourselves.  I am thankful for mine and know it is the only thing keeping me here wearing wool socks on a mid- July day.

No comments:

Post a Comment