Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 16



I am thankful for my sweet, funny, surprising two year old Jonah.


He is independent.  He is deliciously sweet and kissable.  He has a twinge of total obstinacy and has since birth.  He is definitely in his own way a "Jonah" but that is also what I love about him.  He will be wandering around the house with a wire wisk, a lego man and book of poetry under his arm and woe to the man who gets in his way when he is on that kind of mission.  (Whatever that kind of mission is...?)

Today I was watering the garden and he came out in his basketball style shorts, a t-shirt he had taken out of the give away box, his rubber boots and a plush cow mask on.  He had his super- hero cape that I made him in hand and was asking me to tie it on for him.  He then proceeded to run around the yard shouting that he was shooting big bombs out of his watering can and getting all the bad guys.

They say that a little boy between the ages of 2 and 4 has twice the amount of testosterone of an adult male.  That answers a lot of questions in my house.  He wore the outfit around town this afternoon and got some compliments.

He is changing his clothes more often than an insecure girl in junior high these days.  I don't really even bother folding them to put them away cause he digs through the drawers so much each day that it is futile to stop it.  He is excited cause he can dress himself now and it was something that I worried about him being a late bloomer in cause he just figured it out.  Now I'm pretty sure he's making up for lost time.

He makes me laugh and he is infuriating in the same breath, but he is a professional snuggler and his kisses are better than a speckled puppy on Christmas.  I love him fiercely and thank God that in the midst of His adventure called parenting He built in some unparalleled rewards.

1 comment:

  1. This whole post, including but not only, the photo, should win an award. You expressed motherhood to me vividly and fully faceted. I love you, Jamie Ellen! Hang on... you are a champ! I remember the day when Kurt dumped 5 pounds of flour on his head because I had baby-proofed the kitchen and didn't want anything dangerous down low... and all I could see were his big brown eyes trying to blink away all of the flour. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. and then he pulled a full pitcher of orange juice over on himself 10 minutes before I expected "important" guests. STICKY!

    ReplyDelete