Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Get Lost

My friend DW gave me a book called, " A Field Guide to Getting Lost" and I came across this passage that took me a minute to digest and thought it was worth sharing:
"To be lost is to be fully present, and to be fully present is to be capable of being in uncertainty and mystery. And one does not get lost but loses oneself with the implication that it is a conscious choice, a chosen surrender, a psychic state achievable through geography. That thing the nature of which is totally unknown to you is usually what you need to find, and finding it is a matter of getting lost. The word "lost" comes from the Old Norse los, meaning the disbanding of an army, and this origin suggests soldiers falling out of formation to go home, a truce with the wide world. I worry now that many people never disband their armies, never go beyond what they know."
-Rebbecca Solnit

No comments:

Post a Comment