Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Meaning


So I'm wondering how much meaning has to be in the image. I think there is inherent meaning in each piece I do, but I can't always verbalize it. These images are almost a year old, but when clicking through them this evening, they jumped out at me. The editing isn't too complicated, but they remind me of how I want to paint. Everyone I've been talking to says I need to start painting again. I'm affraid to paint, because if people ask about my image, I may not have a BFA worthy answer. My work always seems to point to where I am in my own journey. Some may call it confessional, maybe it's just intuative. I know I need to get over all that and just paint, but "What do I paint?" and "Why?" seem to be the questions getting in the way right now. Funny how these images seem to say that also ... see what I mean? (no pun intended)

3 comments:

  1. I love this...it looks like a painting already. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bfa whatever--those bfas are never wher you need them to be--mine is totally ineffective on the career front, however i am a better person for it and so are you...follow your intuition. you are an amazing painter.
    anna marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, again with us about meaning. I asked, "Can we imbue meaning into our lives?" and you are asking, "Can we (how do we) imbue meaning into our art?" To both we can answer that there is meaning outside of, or bigger than, our intentions towards it. In our lives and art there is meaning whether we have a 'BFA worthy' (or on my part, simply perceived) answer for it. The whole point of visual art is that it is non-verbal meaning. If you could always articulate it, you would write it, no? And anyway, friend, I don't think you're talking about having a BFA-worthy answer, but a Jamie-worthy answer. That said, it is true that there are 'generations who remember and generations who forget'. You are interested in meaning as a subject and not everyone is. If your work is confessional, than that is what you have to give and you can be happy about that. None of us are everything! You ask 'how much meaning has to be in the image' and it only depends on what you are driven to produce. 'Wherever you go, there you are'. That's what you have to give (and it's a lot!).

    ReplyDelete