Thursday, February 22, 2007

I run like Jonah

So this is a little study I did about a week or so ago and it isn't much but reminds me of my love for paint. I think I'm trying too hard to make other things work and when I just sit down and paint everything seems to make sense. Eli has been fighting sleep these days and it's funny watch him in a way because he is so tired and needs a nap so that he can be happy and rested again, but just doesn't want to give in. I can see now why God calls us children, because as a parent I can look at him and know his needs, and want to give to him for his betterment. But I can't give him things he won't take. Maybe that is reaching as an analogy for why I should be painting, but I do think God knows us and how he made us. My friend Dawn said, "James you're running like Jonah, and look what happened to him..he got swallowed by a whale." It is lent and I can't think of what I should give up. I almost think I need to take on a discipline instead of abstaining from something so that I am faced with my sin and have to set it before God. Painting makes me do that. Maybe that is why I've been running.

No comments:

Post a Comment