Monday, September 27, 2010

Show Worthy



So this evening I hung my first show in many years that is exclusively my own work. It will be up at black bird bakery through the month of October. I am excited to have my work seen somewhere other than over my shoulder in my studio or at my house. If you're local, stop in and check it out. Here are a few images and the statement that accompanies them.


As a teacher and a parent I have had the privilege and responsibility of being involved with children on a number of levels. I love to see their smiles and hear their ideas as well as share in moments of them gaining new understanding.


As an artist I am compelled to work through the other facets of their lives that are not always clear or easy. Rarely are children allowed to be childlike. They are faced with familial struggles, identity issues, societal messages conflicting with reality as well as the simple yet difficult task of growing up.


Through these prints and paintings I do not hope to answer any of the questions that face our children. But instead, I hope to empower our children to freely ask the questions that seem “unaskable”. I hope to endorse the struggle that seems so undesirable. I hope to encourage our children that the result of wrestling with the questions is far better than never having asked them at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment