Thursday, June 03, 2010

highway to hell



These pictures show a sink hole that formed 2 days ago in Guatemala city due to their recent flooding and seismic activity including volcanic eruptions 60 miles south of the city. The Boston Globe website(?) says they still aren't sure why this sink hole formed and I actually don't know much more than that it is almost 60 km deep and that it enveloped an intersection and a 3 story building with it. They said the building had closed just an hour before it fell into the earth. Needless to say Guatemalans could use a shout out in your prayers this week. I traveled there in college for about 10 days and it has a special place in my heart. I can't imagine the scope of natural disasters like this one. I've never experienced anything like it. It offers a bit of perspective. My friend Mike is traveling to Antigua next week and described these images as pictures of the highway to hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment